Monday, January 19, 2009

Worry - a health warning

You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. 15For this people's heart has become calloused. (Matt 13:14-15)

The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. (Matt 13:22)


There is a saying, that for praying people, there are good days and bad days. On bad days, the ceiling seems to be made of brass, and our prayers don't penetrate beyond. That, of course, is perception - totally untrue of course, as if God doesn't hear us whereever we are. "Before a word is on my tongue, you know it completely Oh Lord." (Psalm 139) On the flipside, there must be days when God probably thinks our hearts are like brass - where nothing penetrates it, because as He says, our hearts have become 'calloused'. It's interesting how the 'worries of this life, and the deceitness of wealth' can conspire to cause our hearts to be hardened. So when Jesus says, 'Do not worry about tomorrow', or to the church of Laodicea, 'You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked', He means serious business. I have always known that worry, stress and anxiety are bad for physical health. They are bad for spiritual health too.

Prayer today: Father God, for a worrywart like me, it's hard not to be anxious about many things. But you say this worry chokes the hearing of the word. Help me O God, to cast all my cares upon you, to be at rest, that your word may take root in the good soil of my heart. I want to care about the things that matter, the things that have eternal value. I want to be tenderhearted toward you. In Jesus name, Amen.

ps. Off to HK tomorrow, back in a week's time. Happy Chinese New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment