Friday, January 9, 2009

Rest, not stress

Then he prayed, "O LORD, God of my master Abraham, give me success today, and show kindness to my master Abraham." (Gen 24:12)

Then the man bowed down and worshiped the LORD, 27 saying, "Praise be to the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who has not abandoned his kindness and faithfulness to my master. As for me, the LORD has led me on the journey to the house of my master's relatives." (Gen 24:26-27)

"Be strong and courageous, be not afraid nor dismayed for the king of Assyria, nor for all the multitude that is with him: for there be more with us than with him:
With him is an arm of a flesh; but with us is the Lord our God to help us, and to fight our battles. And the people rested themselves." (2 Chron 32:7-8)

"Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the Lord our God." (Psalm 20:7)

"Cursed be the man that trusts in man, and makes flesh his arm, and whose heart departs from the Lord." (Jer 17:5)


I started the new year feeling stressed. At work, with the new year invariably comes reflection - what did we do well last year, what could we have done better. With the new year invariably comes new targets: how can we stretch ourselves and achieve more. My philosophy has always been for people in the workplace (or anywhere else for that matter) to play to their strengths. Harness your strengths, increase your chances of success. It's commonsensical, and I believe God gives us distinct talents so we can leverage on them. But Abraham's servant reminds me that ultimately it is not our innate abilities, or the arm of the flesh, that gives us good success. God is the one who gives us good success. Before he sets out on his journey to find a wife for Isaac, He prays to God for grace to succeed. And when God grants Him success, he praises God. Prayer and praise: an example to follow.

Prayer today: Father God, I thank you for the talents you have given me, and the work you've blessed me with. Please grant me the grace to look to you, and not the arm of my flesh, for success. May I commit everything I do into your hands, and leave the result to you. In place of stress, Father, I ask for your peace and rest. In Jesus' name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I can see that God is certainly ministering to you via His Word. Praise Him!

    ReplyDelete