Saturday, January 17, 2009

The hesed of God

"A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out." (Matt 12:20)

Jesus is all about kindness and mercy. "A broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." (Psalm 51:17) When we feel we cannot go a step further, He lifts us.

Sometime back, I started a study on the lovingkindness, the hesed of God, and it filled my heart with wonder. (Hesed: "the consistent, ever-faithful, relentless, constantly-pursuing, lavish, extravagant, unrestrained, furious love of our Father God!") I have only skirted the surface of this study, and could perhaps never truly plump the depths of this attribute of God.

"Let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness (hesed), justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things," declares the LORD. (Jeremiah 9:24)

God is righteous and He is merciful. He is insistent on holiness, but He is even more intent on showing mercy. When God describes Himself, He mentions lovingkindness ahead of justice and righteousness. For sinful men like us, what blessedness!

Prayer today: Father God, I praise and thank you for the hesed that you show towards me. How blessed am I to live under your lovingkindness. Help me to understand and know you as you really are. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment