Thursday, January 8, 2009

Two risk-reward profiles

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." (Matt 6:19-21)

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." (Matt 6:24)

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."(Matt 6:33)

"How long will you waver between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him." But the people said nothing. (1 Kings 18:21)


God forces us to make choices. Just like He forced the Israelites to choose between Him and the idols of the day, he forces us to make a choice between worshipping Him and pursuing money.

I have rarely seen such a categorical pronouncement: You CANNOT serve God and Money.

God gives us two distinct investment choices. And their risk-reward profiles.

If we serve Him, we are blessed first and foremost with spiritual treasures, but also physical blessings...a double return. There is no risk. No fluctuating returns. No fear that the investment will become zero.

If we serve Money, there is no guarantee of return. Our investment may become zero.

So why do I waver? Why do I still want to have my cake and eat it? Why am I hedging my bets? In the financial world, I guess it's because we have been taught not to put all our eggs in one basket.

But that is because we can never be sure which investment will succeed and which will fail.

Prayer today: Father God, the world's way is to hedge, to stash away a little here, a little there. I, too, am guilty of this; guilty of wavering between two opinions, two masters. Please help me to put my trust in you. I want to be fully confident in you, so I can be single-minded in seeking first the kingdom of God and its righteousness. For you cannot fail, and your promises cannot be reneged upon. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment