Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The paradox of being both shrewd and innocent

I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. (Matt 10:16)

Because their sister Dinah had been defiled, Jacob's sons replied deceitfully as they spoke to Shechem and his father Hamor.(Gen 34:13)


Jesus said to his disciples, Be Shrewd as snakes, innocent as doves. What a profound statement. What a paradox. How can we be shrewd yet innocent? Jacob's sons probably thought they were being shrewd when they tricked Shechem and his father Hamor, and eventually massacred the men in the whole town. But that was not right in God's sight. Be shrewd as snakes... I believe God calls us to discern, to strategise, to outwit the enemy. After all, He is the master strategist, the author of redemption's story. But to be innocent as doves... to be holy, upright, with clean hands and a pure heart. Possible? Only through godly wisdom, I think! Which thank God, he says if anyone lacks, he should ask for (James 1:5)

Prayer today: Father God, I don't think I know what it means really, to be shrewd and innocent at the same time. I ask for your godly wisdom, that I may learn this truth from you. In Jesus' name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Ya, good point. How to be shrewd, but not in a yucky sort of way. God will certainly give us wisdom.

    ReplyDelete