Saturday, January 31, 2009

Servanthood - God's way

Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. (Matt 20:26-28)

Servanthood is so God's way. Not to Lord it over many. But to be sacrificial, humble and ready to offer service. (Incidentally, when I was in HK, I was struck by how service standards had risen so markedly. Since it was winter sale time, I had a super good time buying a lot of things. Another satisfied customer :)) The sales assistants were attentive, and nothing I asked for seemed to be any trouble at all. They were patient and kind, and proactive in meeting our needs.

On a related matter, I recently read Don Anderson's newsletter from Bible Teaching Ministries on 12 words describing friendship. Many of the qualities here, I believe, also stems from an attitude of servanthood - a willingness to give of ourselves, and serve others with our gifts, time, love and resources.
1. Love
2. Loyalty
3. Availability
4. Communication
5. Comfort
6. Acceptance
7. Appreciation
8. Support
9. Encouragement
10.Respect
11.Defense
12.Family

Prayer today: Father God, pride is so very much the enemy of an attitude of servanthood - both to give help, and to be willing to accept help from others. Grant me the grace to be humble, that I may emulate Jesus, the true servant, and please the heart of my Father in heaven. Amen.

A beautiful, beautiful rendition of the Servant Song by a Filipino acapella group!

No comments:

Post a Comment