Sunday, January 4, 2009

Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life

"Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. "All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."

Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only." Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him. (Matt 4:8-11)


In the third temptation Jesus faced in the wilderness, He was offered all the kingdoms of the world if He bowed down and worshipped Satan. Jesus said to Satan, "Worship the Lord your God, and serve Him only." He chose obedience to the Father, and God gave Him all the kingdoms of the world, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name(Phil 2:6-11). But this was via the Cross, the path of greatest resistance.

Of late, there has been a lot of talk that 2009 will be more intense than 2008. As we hurtle closer to the return of Christ, I have been thinking a lot about the End of the Age. In the midst of persecution, hardship, even the threat of ridicule, will I choose the path of greatest resistance - of absolute obedience to my King? Or will I capitulate?

Will I be like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, who say: "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up." (Dan 3:16)

Will I be like Job, who says, "Though He slay me, yet I will trust in Him" (Job 13:15)

Will I be like Joshua, who says resolutely, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15)

Prayer today: O God, But for your grace, who can stand? Grant that in every circumstance, I may say like Peter, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God (John 6:68-69). Grant that I may take up the whole armour of God, that I may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm (Eph 6:13). Thank you Abba Father, for the Lord Jesus, who ever intercedes for me at your right hand, until I have safely arrived in your Home. In Jesus' name, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment