Friday, January 16, 2009

To be like Jesus

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matt 11:28)

This jumped out at me for the first time today - in Jesus' first description of his own personality traits, he used two words - gentle and humble in heart. No wonder God loves humility and hates pride so much ... humility is just so much like Jesus!

"God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."(James 4:6)

He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8)

There are six things the LORD hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
a false witness who pours out lies
and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers. (Proverbs 6:16-19)


In December 2007, I started to study the book of Hebrews by iistening to online sermons by Don Anderson (he is such a good teacher!); and it struck me acutely in my heart that when we are saved, we are God's children. It made me want to embark on a study of what Abba Father and the Lord Jesus are like; their character traits, and what they like and dislike ... since children emulate their parents.

Prayer today: Father God, thank you for the privilege of being your child. Help me, O God, to be more like Christ; and grant me the grace that I may act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with you. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment