Tuesday, January 6, 2009

El Roi - the God who sees

"She gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her: "You are the God who sees me," for she said, "I have now seen the One who sees me." That is why the well was called Beer Lahai Roi; it is still there, between Kadesh and Bered. (Gen 16:13)"

Jesus is El Roi, the God who sees. This is scary and comforting. Scary because: "Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account." (Heb 4:13) Comforting because nothing ever surprises God. Nothing that I do throws Him. Nothing that happens to me fazes Him. He is sovereign. He knows everything.

"My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be." (Psalm 139)


What a joyful thing to know that the God who sees chose to die for me anyway when I was at my most wretched, and most vile. Hallelujah. "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)

Prayer today: Lord Jesus, I praise and thank you that you are El Roi, the God who sees. Nothing ever fazes you or catches you by surprise. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. May you grant me the grace to walk worthy of the calling as a child of God. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Note to self: Heard many times in Jerusalem last year that it is the city of the Great King (Didn't realise it was biblical!! Matt 5:35) Also astounded that we should pray (specifically of all things, to PRAY) for those who persecute us. Not try and ignore them, or be indifferent to them, or live with them, gritting our teeth, but pray for them!

1 comment: