Thursday, January 29, 2009

Audience of One

Everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first. (Matt 19:28-30)

I watched the inauguration of Barack Obama on CNN last week. It was awe-inspiring. The millions who crowded in Washington to witness the defining moment saw history in the making. Obama's inauguration speech was oratory at its finest; inspiring and finely delivered. I could see why he would be called a great man, a great leader.

In recent years, many of the leaders of the Wall Street banks would also have been considered great men and leaders - full of acumen, drive, poise - the epitome of success. Many have now fallen from great heights.

Jesus says "But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." How many obscure people - people who are marginalised, overlooked, sidestepped by society - will inherit places of honour in God's kingdom because of their service and love for Him? How many successful people - those who have arrived, reached the top, earned great fame and fortune - will find themselves least in the kingdom? When God hands out His rewards, there will be a role reversal because God sees not as man sees. And we need to live to an Audience of One.

Prayer today: Father God, I must confess that my values are still so much the world's values. My measure of success, the world's measure of success. Help me O God to renew my mind. To see as you would see. So that at my life's end, I would have lived with no regrets, having spent my life on eternal things, to an Audience of One. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment