Sunday, June 7, 2009

To make our King known

Day 3 in Bangkok ... this afternoon, after verifying that the Thai cinemas screen Hollywood blockbusters in English, I decided to take a break from shopping to catch a movie. I was truly impressed by the cineplex at Siam Paragon - it is the ultimate in 'luxe' ... and has tiered pricing for different classes of theatres. I decided to watch "Terminator Salvation" at a digital theatre - with better sound and sharper images - at 170 baht (about SGD8) ... still cheaper than Singapore, and in amazingly grand surroundings.

Before the movie started, there was the usual dose of trailers and cinema adverts. But what was truly interesting was that at one point, among the trailers, there was a screenshot of the Thai king, and all the audience in the theatre stood to their feet. For a while, I continued to sit in my chair (thinking afterall that I was not a subject of this nation) ... then decided that that might be culturally disrespectful. I did a Wikipedia search on this occurrence after I got back to the hotel, and it said: "Before a film, the audience must stand for the "Royal Anthem", which is accompanied by a montage of images of King Bhumibol Adulyadej." Ahhh... so this is a regular ocurrence after all.

Anyway, during dinner, I thought of the Thais who immediately jumped to their feet upon hearing the anthem. They were spontaneous in their reverence. Moi? I was indifferent really. But then, I don't know King Bhumibol. I've read that he's respected as a benevolent monarch - but I have just a passing knowledge of him. It struck me that my lack of knowledge about him is what fuels my apathy. Similarly, how can they who've never known the King of Kings feel anything but indifference towards him? I love my King, but they who don't know about His goodness, cannot be expected to feel the same way. My cinema experience reminded me that men cannot be expected to love our King unless we make Him known.

Prayer today: Lord Jesus, you are the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords. Help me to make you known, that all men might know your goodness, your love and your greatness in all the earth. To know you is to love you. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment