Saturday, June 20, 2009

Prayer requests: Nothing is too small or too specific for God

Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. (Isaiah 59:1)

This week, God reminded me of the power of specific prayer. At the workplace, my team and I were organising a community event whereby 20 colleagues had volunteered to have their heads shaved, to raise money for a children's cancer charity organisation. The event was to take place at the cafeteria at our workplace - and it had a capacity of 200+ persons. My team and I were involved with executing the entire event - from publicising it internally, rallying for donations, and planning the logistics.

While we did everything we could to ensure flawless execution of the programme, there was one thing that was completely out of our control - the number of people who would turn up. We didn't want to be contrived about it ... and to invite only select people. We wanted all our people who would support the cause to come, and to cheer on our brave colleagues who were having their heads shaved. Yet, we knew that if people turned up in droves, we would have a crowd control problem on our hands. So we prayed a specific prayer: God, please let the RIGHT NUMBER of people come.

It's funny how I can believe that God is the maker of the universe, and doubt that He would be able to answer this prayer. So I was pretty stressed about it all. Ten minutes before the event, no one was there. But when it started, God brought in just about 200+ people - the ideal number - so much so that the atmosphere was electric! There was loads of camaraderie and cheering; but we weren't packed like sardines :)

And I'm still really inspired and awestruck by the event, and how generous everyone was! Within 3 short weeks, we've raised over SGD 100,000 for the cancer-stricken kids, and we have another week of fund-raising to go! That God brought in the right number of people sounds like a small thing. But for me, it's another example of an answer to specific prayer, and God being in control of everything and everything! This one will go into my personal chequebook of faith of just how great our God is!

Prayer today: Abba Father, thank you for making our charity event such a success. While I could plan the logistics to flawless execution, the number of attendees was completely out of my control. But it was completely in your control. I know that now. You are awesome Father, and I praise you that no prayer request is too small or too specific for you to answer! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment