Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Spiritual warfare and lies about God

10 "This is what Sennacherib king of Assyria says: On what are you basing your confidence, that you remain in Jerusalem under siege? 11 When Hezekiah says, 'The LORD our God will save us from the hand of the king of Assyria,' he is misleading you, to let you die of hunger and thirst... 14 Who of all the gods of these nations that my fathers destroyed has been able to save his people from me? How then can your god deliver you from my hand? 15 Now do not let Hezekiah deceive you and mislead you like this. Do not believe him, for no god of any nation or kingdom has been able to deliver his people from my hand or the hand of my fathers. How much less will your god deliver you from my hand!" (2 Chr 32:10-14)

When Sennacherib king of Assyria and all his forces were laying siege on Lachish, he taunted the people of Judah and spouted lie upon lie, to make them doubt God. He told them that Hezekiah was misleading them when he said God would be able to deliver them. Sennacherib sounded real convincing, but in fact, it was he who was lying.

In the same way, Satan is the Father of lies. He lies to us to make us doubt God's goodness, His strength, His might, His ability to deliver us. I remember one year when we were engaged in spiritual warfare to push back his kingdom, he sowed this doubt in my mind, "Are you SURE your God can keep you?" When I allowed these thoughts to assault my mind, my faith began to falter ...

That's why we need to keep our armour on - especially the belt of truth and the shield of faith. In the face of insurmountable odds, am I sure my God can keep me? Yes He can. And He will. His word says so. He is a God that cannot lie.

20 King Hezekiah and the prophet Isaiah son of Amoz cried out in prayer to heaven about this. 21 And the LORD sent an angel, who annihilated all the fighting men and the leaders and officers in the camp of the Assyrian king. So he withdrew to his own land in disgrace. And when he went into the temple of his god, some of his sons cut him down with the sword.

Hallelejah. Amen.

Prayer today: O Father, forgive me when I doubt you and listen to lies. Help me discern truth from falsehood, especially falsehood about you; that I may walk secure in who you are, and whose I am. In Jesus' name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this.. Isnt it great how when we need the cofirmation of Gods words spoken to us we fall upon them litterally.. I just happen to fall upon your site.. Thank you again for posting this..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great to know! Isn't our God just so good? :)

    ReplyDelete