Thursday, December 17, 2009

God's calling upon our lives

Attended Lea Salonga in concert at the Esplanade this evening, and oh my goodness. What an inspiring performance she gave. I last saw Lea Salonga more than 15 years ago in London, in Miss Saigon. Now she's 38. But wow, what an incredible voice she still has! And as I watched her on stage, I couldn't help but think that God has created her to sing. What immense talent. What a gift!

One of my favourite films is Chariots of Fire ... a true story on Eric Liddell, who chose not to run in his best race - the 100m sprint - in the Olympics of 1924 because it fell on a Sunday. This committed Christian went on to run in the 400m race and win. He was quoted as saying, "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure."

Lea Salonga was created to sing. Eric Liddell to run. Both bring glory to God with their gifts.

Psalm 139:14 declares, “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

All of us are fearfully and wonderfully made. And each of us was created with unique and distinct traits to bring glory to God. Ps Peter Tsukahira said if we are hungry enough to find the calling God has upon our lives, and if we seek Him about this, He will reveal it to us. Praise God that He is liberal with his gifts towards us!

Ps. One of the songs that Lea sang in concert tonight is "Two Words", which is actually the vows she sang at her wedding. Her husband Rob was so touched, he couldn't stop crying. It's such a beautiful song, I simply have to share it here...

1 comment: