Monday, July 20, 2009

God's assignments for us

"About noon as I came near Damascus, suddenly a bright light from heaven flashed around me. 7I fell to the ground and heard a voice say to me, 'Saul! Saul! Why do you persecute me?" "Who are you, Lord?" I asked. "I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting," he replied. 9My companions saw the light, but they did not understand the voice of him who was speaking to me. "What shall I do, Lord?" I asked.
"Get up," the Lord said, "and go into Damascus. There you will be told all that you have been assigned to do." (Acts 22:6-10)


Jesus had assignments for Paul. Likewise, I believe God has assignments for us all. Recently at YWAM, we have been learning about calling and destiny. What is our calling? What is our destiny?

Some lessons: God is liberal with our destiny. And He has big dreams for us. He called Gideon a mighty man of valour, before Gideon ever achieved anything for God.

Was at a bookshop recently, and noticed that there are plenty of self-help books and books on self-esteem. Self-esteem and self-confidence are wonderful, I thought. Especially the right esteem about ourselves in God's eyes.

Until I read this in the notes a friend shared with us this evening, and it makes so much sense: "Self-esteem is focused on self. Christ-esteem is recognising I’m filthy, sinful and have no good apart from God – I look to Christ – Jesus alive in me. I don’t have to struggle because my self is dead. And I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

"You can be everything you want to be – that’s the world view. But what does Jesus want me to be? That's the kingdom view."

"Don’t discourage children and their big dreams, but refocus it to how they can align their dreams with God."

Prayer today: Father God, I want big dreams. But I want them to be aligned with your big dreams. My vision, no better how big, is still much smaller than yours; because you are a Big God, and you are liberal when it comes to destinies. Help me to live the fullest life that you intended me to live when you conceived me in your mind. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment