Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The right view of success

Consider now, for the LORD has chosen you to build a temple as a sanctuary. (1 Chr 28:10)

I was reading this morning the account by David of his plans to build the temple. It struck me in the short passage how utterly God is the architect of our success...how utterly dependent we are on Him...and how utterly foolish we are when we are prideful, when we think our success comes from our own hands.

Here it is. In the building of the temple, a glorious structure, all the plans did not originate in the mind of David because of his intellect, but came from the Spirit (1 Chr 28:12) The courage and strength to carry out the work came from God (1Chr 28:20) The wealth and honor bestowed to David and Solomon came from God (1 Chr 29:12) The ability to stay faithful till the end, any wholehearted devotion to keep God's commands and requirements and decrees, are by the grace of God (1 Chr 29:19)

Our inspired thoughts come from God. Our desire to obey comes by His enablement. Our wealth and honour is from Him. Our ability to love Him and persist in His ways are by His grace. Everything, and everything, that I do that is good is because of Him.

So when reading the passage, the only right response to all of the above is the one given by the people of Judah:

Then David said to the whole assembly, "Praise the LORD your God." So they all praised the LORD, the God of their fathers; they bowed low and fell prostrate before the LORD and the king. (1 Chr 29:20)

Prayer today: Father God, forgive me when I foolishly think my hands have earned me success. Everything, and I mean everything, that I do that is good is because of you. You are the author and finisher of my faith. Help me not to forget that, and so, to do justly, love mercy and walk humbly before my God. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment