Sunday, February 8, 2009

A life of no regrets

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him." (Matt 24:42-44)

"And now children, abide in him, so that when he appears, we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming." (1 John 2:28)

A couple of months ago, I read a true-life story about a devout Christian man who had been told that he had but only a few more months to live. At some critical junctures, one usually evaluates what they will change about their priorities since time is short. The amazing thing was that because the man had ordered his life - to live it for Christ - many years prior, there was NOTHING to change. I know I'm not there yet.

In this passage on His return, Jesus tells us to "keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will return". We should live in a way that does not require a re-ordering of priorities, or lifestyle, if He should come back tomorrow or a thousand years from hence. It's a little like Jonathon Edwards' resolutions, 2 of which read:

1. Resolved, That I will live so, as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.

2. Resolved, Never to do any thing, which I should be afraid to do, if I expected it would not be above an hour before I should hear the last trump.

Prayer today: Father God, I want to live in such a way that when you appear, I may have confidence and not shrink from you in shame, at your coming. I want to live in such a way that I will have no regrets when I die. I want to live each day fully for you. Guide my steps, enlarge my heart, and grant me the grace, that each day you grant me will bless your heart, and others around me. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment