Sunday, January 29, 2012

Dwelling in the house of the Lord



"One thing have I asked of the LORD,
that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.

For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble;
he will conceal me under the cover of his tent;
he will lift me high upon a rock." (Psalm 27:4-5)

A week ago, the Lord led me to this awesome truth in Psalm 27. One of the words I've been getting is that 2012 will be a year of storms. But the Lord has been good to provide as many promises of refuge and security as well. What I didn't know before is that there is a place where we can be concealed, and literally hidden, from the Enemy. A place where he cannot touch us, because he cannot see us. That place is God's dwelling place, his tent.

I realised that the promise in Psalm 27:5 follows Psalm 27:4, where David longs to dwell in the house of the Lord. The benefits of abiding in His presence are many. Safety from the enemy is one. I want, I want, I want to dwell in God's house!

But to dwell in God's house requires holiness.

"Who may ascend the mountain of the LORD?
Who may stand in his holy place?
He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
who does not trust in an idol, or swear by a false god." (Psalm 24:3-4)

The realisation that God is holy, and he cannot tolerate sin, makes Jesus' atonement all the more precious. We can draw near to God, and enter into the Holy of Holies, and not just visit, but stay in God's presence, because Jesus' blood has made the way. This morning, God gave me just a sense of how holy He really is. To know how Holy He really is, is to be filled with gratitude that we can now "come boldly to the throne of grace".

I like this commentary by Matthew Henry.

"All God's children desire to dwell in their Father's house. Not to sojourn there as a wayfaring man, to tarry but for a night; or to dwell there for a time only, as the servant that abides not in the house for ever; but to dwell there all the days of their life, as children with a father."

I believe this is not just speaking of eternal life, as a promise for after we die. But it is a truth we can enter into now.

Jesus has paid the highest price for the veil to be rent, and for us to be able to now dwell in the Father's house, in His presence, communing with Him face to face. I want to be like Elijah, who says "the LORD God of Israel lives, before whom I stand."

No comments:

Post a Comment