Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Angels, and the goodness of the Lord

This morning, before I left for work, my sis told me the news that a church member had passed on ... I didn't know this lady personally, but my sis did. She was a fiesty lady, dedicated to ministry, and a faithful servant of the Lord. She had passed on, after succumbing to cancer. It was a relatively short battle ... months only ... and when she was diagnosed, this lady had still retained her optimism. But the chemotherapy got to her - her organs started failing - and this morning, she went home to be with the Lord.

I asked my sis if her death was sudden. I asked because from recent accounts, it had been an up and down journey - some days up, some days down. My sis said no, the family was prepared. Because - and this is what brought a lump to my throat - before she passed on, this lady had asked her husband to release her to the Lord. This was after she saw a vision of two angels standing by her bedside. And ... despite the pain she was in ... she was so happy, she lifted her hands to worship the Lord.

Just thinking about it has made my eyes tear a few times today. It made me tear because it just reminded me how good God is. How real our faith is. How real eternity is. How we are spirit beings, looked after by God, and ministered to by his angels. And at our journey's end, He sends His angels to bring us - His dear children - home. WOW!

I teared because I was just floored by how even at her life's end, even when it was painful physically to do so, this lady praised the Lord, not just in her heart but with the lifting of her hands. WOW!

God is good. And real. Suddenly, the reality of eternity hit home. And the reality of the Lord's goodness in redeeming us - so we are forgiven and adopted into his family - hit home. We are truly privileged as children of God. Truly privileged.

4 comments:

  1. Yes it's true how good our God is. Each time I go to a funeral of one who has returned home to God, I see a serene smile - saw that on my mother. Could be my own imagination but I think I would be beaming too if the last thing I see is the Lord coming to fetch me home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! And amen! May we all beam, us privileged children of God! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you heard the song by MercyMe, "I can only imagine"? It's in Youtube.

    What we can only imagine, she's experiencing now in His presence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that song ... thanks for sharing! Will post it up on the blog soon!

    ReplyDelete