Saturday, October 17, 2009

Obedience: this, too, is love

Obedience.

Jesus said in John 14:15, "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments."

Obedience is something we do if we love God.

Today, as I was reading Watchman Nee's thoughts on spiritual authority, I suddenly saw why God wants us to obey.

I saw it from another perspective.

This is what Watchman Nee writes.

When the Son left the glory, He did not intend to return on the basis of His divine attributes; on the contrary, He desired to be exalted as a man. Jesus was exalted by God after He was obedient. In like manner, God wants to affirm this principle of obedience in us now, so that we also will be worthy to be exalted in that coming Day.

I always thought God wants us to obey Him because He is God. He is the ultimate authority. He is the Law. And there is nothing wrong with that.

But today, I saw things from another perspective. I realised that God wants us to obey Him so that He may be able to exalt us.

God wants us to obey Him because He LOVES us. He LOVES us. That caused a pang in my heart. He wants us to obey Him because it is good for us.

Obedience - this is a demonstration of love. Our love for God. His love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment