Thursday, March 19, 2009

Boldness

It was Preparation Day (that is, the day before the Sabbath). So as evening approached, 43Joseph of Arimathea, a prominent member of the Council, who was himself waiting for the kingdom of God, went boldly to Pilate and asked for Jesus' body.(Mark 15:42-43)

Joseph of Arimathea did something the Bible described as bold - he asked for Jesus' body so He could bury it. Boldness I've realised doesn't come easily for me. On the occasions I'm bold, or a risk-taker, it's because I've decided the downside doesn't matter. Like at work. My biggest achievements have typically occurred when I took huge risks - which paid off. The irony is that the only reason I dared to take the risks was that I was prepared - in the event of spectacular failure - to leave the workplace. In other words, I was prepared to hang on to what was dear to me loosely.

It strikes me that the same must surely be true of life. It's only if we hang on to life very loosely that we dare take big risks for God. In other words, boldness will only come if we believe like Paul does that 'To live is Christ, to die is gain.' That, whatever happens, there is no downside in pouring our lives out for God.

Prayer today: Father God, I know I am not bold for the cause of Christ. Give me the grace so that I may live like Paul did, knowing that 'To live is Christ, to die is gain'. That when we live courageously for you, whatever happens, we win. For when we have Jesus, we have everything and more that we need. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment